Alexander is a bit obsessed with the idea of cake. Instead of reading him bedtime stories, we spend the last few minutes of his day looking at cake recipes everyday. He'd point at the pictures and I'd tell him the name of each cake. That said, he doesn't actually like eating cakes; he just loves looking at them and helping me bake cakes and he'll lick the spoon and be all excited while it's in the oven but when it's actually ready, he'd just have one mouthful and that will be enough.
So anyway, I thought it'd be fun to bake a Neapolitan cake with him with the three different layers and colours to really make his day. As always, he only had one bite (of each layer) and guess what? That really did make his day. Weirdo.
Neapolitan cake (makes one 20-cm round cake or two 10-cm round cakes)
4 cups self raising flour
2 cups caster sugar
250g butter, melted
11/4 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
115g baking chocolate, melted
1/2 cup frozen or fresh strawberries, pureed
2 drops pink food colour (optional)
300ml cream, whipped
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, Grease three 20 cm-round cake tins of the same size.
2. Combine flour, sugar, butter , milk, eggs and vanilla essence in large bowl and stir until smooth.
3. Pour one-third of the batter into one cake tin. In a separate bowl, mix one-third of
batter, the strawberries and pink food color. Pour
into second cake pan. Stir melted chocolate into remaining batter and pour
into remaining cake tin.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool, then trim off top of cakes to make level.
6. Place chocolate cake on serving plate or cake stand. Add 3-4
tablespoons of whipped cream on cake and spread with spatula. Repeat
with strawberry and vanilla cake layers.
7. Garnish with fresh strawberries, chocolates and vanilla sticks (optional).