Perhaps black forest cake is now considered old fashioned, but I very much still wanted a taste. To satisfy my craving, I simply went and made one for myself. If you didn't already know, it really is just a fanciful chocolate cake loaded with cream and cherry liquor and cherries of course. If you like a non-alcoholic version, you can simply substitute the liquor with cherry juice from the jar.
Chocolate cake mix
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
Pitted Morello cherries
2 tablespoons cherry liquor
4 tablespoons cherry juice (from pitted morello cherry jar)
Mint leaves, fresh cherries for garnishing (optional)
1. Bake cake as per instructions in cake tin.
2. Allow to cool, then trim off tops of cake to make level.
2. Carefully slice cake into 3 even horizontal layers.
3. Whip the cream with sugar until it holds its shape. Add cherry liquor to cherry juice and stir to mix well
4. Place bottom layer of cake on serving plate or cake stand.Using skewer to poke a few holes in cake layer, then add 1-2 tablespoons of cherry liquid to cake to soak through.
5. Add 1-2 tablespoons of whipped cream on cake and spread with spatula. Then add morello cherries. Repeat with cake layers and cream until desired height is achieved.
6. Garnish with morello cherries, fresh cherries and mint leaves.