It's been raining buckets here in Sydney for days now, which calls for lots of time spent indoors and under blankets. I did find the opportunity to do a bit of baking which made me happy as I always find it so therapeutic - the heat from the oven, the smell of honey and butter melting on the stove and the final reward of biting into that delicately sweet loaf with a hot cup of tea. I can think of few things nicer, really.
1/2 cup honey
1 cup self raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 caster sugar
1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 10cm x 20cm
2. Melt butter and honey in saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Cool in fridge for 5 minutes.
3. Place flour, almond meal and sugar into a large bowl and set aside.
4. Add milk, egg and cooled butter mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Pour into greased loaf tin and bake until the loaf is golden brown and a skewer inserted
in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
View printer-friendly version of this recipe here.