As much as I love scented candles, there's always this fear that I may one day leave them burning unattended and burn my house down, especially now that I have baby brain. These gel air fresheners are therefore a wonderful alternative; to use, just remove lid and place in any room that needs a bit of freshening up for up to a month, after which you simply wash it out and re-use glass jar. Smells great and looks pretty too!
1 tablespoon or 1 sachet of clear and unflavoured gelatine
Essential oils or fragrance oils (I used lavender and rose)
Bamboo skewer or paddle pop stick
1 tablespoon salt
Dried lavender and roses (optional)
1. Add gelatine and salt in 175ml boiling water and whisk briskly until dissolved. The salt acts as a preservative and prevents gelatine from moulding.
2. Add 175ml cold water and mix well. Allow gelatine mixture to cool until just warm to touch.
3. Add fragrance oil and stir well with a paddle pop stick. The general
rule for adding fragrance oil is to use 10% of the gelatine volume. So in the
case I added 25ml of fragrance oil to 250ml of gelatine mixture. Note if
using essential oil (which is more concentrated) to only use 5%.
4. Pour into glass jar(s). Add dried flowers, if you like.
5. Allow to cool until set. Tip: To help the gel set faster, place in refrigerator.