On the weekend, at our favourite dumplings restaurant, Stu looked on in amazement as I wolfed down with just one hand all our usual dishes (pan fried pork gyoza, pan fried crab meat and pork buns, as well as vegetarian dumplings in soup) in record time and all the while bouncing Alexander with the other hand. "How do you do that?" he asked, pointing at baby and then at the chopsticks I was holding. "Oh, it's just one of a few new talents I have", I jokingly replied.
1. eating really really quickly. You just never know when baby will wake up SCREAMING.
2. doing a multitude of things with just one hand. That, and multitasking: holding baby with one hand while playing fetch with the dog with the other hand plus browsing Facebook while the ball is being fetched, for example.
3. doing things really really quietly while baby is sleeping. This includes making coffee, cooking, loading and unloading dishwasher, which is no mean feat, I tell ya!
4. knowing all the words to a number of nursery rhymes. And inventing various hand movements to go with the words.
5. being able to tell, based on sound alone, if baby has done a poo or if it's just a fart.
6. having whole conversations with my 3 month old baby.
7. having really dexterous toes - to pick things up with when my hands are full.
8. the ability to smile and look cheerful at four in the morning (though if this face was staring back at you, wouldn't you smile and look cheerful too?)
Do you have any newfound talents too?