I took one look at The Kitchen Lioness' Danish braid weeks ago, and just couldn't get it out of my head. That perfectly braided bread encasing delicious fillings of compote and filling - how beautiful and tasty it must be. I decided to make my own cheat's version, using puff pastry and an easy apple and sultana filling. It tasted so good! Definitely satisfied my craving and it's so easy, even a time-poor new mum like me can make it. Apple braid
1-2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 handful sultanas
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon raw sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Toss apple slices in medium bowl with sultanas, lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Mix well and bake in oven for 15 minutes.
3. Place puff pastry on baking paper. Using a sharp knife, cut strips 1 inch apart on both sides of the pastry.
4. Place baked apple slices in middle of puff pastry.
5. Fold strips at an angle across the apple slices, overlapping the ends and alternating from side to side.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Printer friendly recipe here.