I've developed a bit of a sweet tooth since I fell pregnant. More recently, I have the biggest craving for jam donuts. And unlike a normal human being, who would simply go to the stores and buy a few, I decided to make myself a whole batch.
I'm really happy with the way they turned out, especially when fresh; warm, fluffy and not sickly sweet like some of the storebought options. It was also a ton of fun watching the dough transform into golden brown puffs while deep frying, and it made the whole house smell like a carnival. Magical.
1 cup of milk
1 cup of caster sugar
2 1/2 tbsp of butter
1 1/2 tsp of salt
3 eggs, beaten
3 1/2 cups of self-raising flour
Oil for deep frying
1. In a bowl combine the sugar and butter add the eggs and mix well before adding milk.
2. In another bowl combine the flour and salt
Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, gradually beating well.
3. Flour your work surface adequately then transfer your dough from the bowl , knead lightly to ensure dough doesn't stick just add some flour once and a while whilst kneading;
4. Roll dough out to 1/2 cm thickness. Lightly flour a 6cm cutter and stamp out rounds.
5. Place 1/2 teaspoon jam in centre of half of the rounds. Moisten edges
with cold water, top with the remaining rounds and pinch edges together
6. Heat oil in deep fat fryer or pot. Fry one layer of doughnuts
at a time. Turn doughnuts once as they rise to the surface until golden
brown. Remove from oil and drain on kitchen roll and sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve warm.