Mini cherry pies (Makes 9)
- 670g pitted morello cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 sheets store-bought shortcrust pastry
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a bowl, mix cherries, sugar, flour, salt and vanilla.
- Line 9 x lightly greased cups of a 12-cup muffin tin with pastry, leaving some overhang. With remaining pastry, either cut ~7.5cm rounds or into strips.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Spoon about 2 tablespoon of filling into each dough-lined cup.
- To make pie crust, cut a small heart (or any desire shape) out of center of each. Place one round on top of each pie. Fold edges of round over the overhanging dough; crimp to seal. Or use pastry strips to weave pie lattice.
- Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Place tin on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until filling bubbles and crusts are golden brown (check frequently - once filling bubbles over, it will caramelise and stick to muffin tin!). Remove muffin tin to a rack to cool.