So here's the recipe, as promised.
- 125g butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 small royal gala apples
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm round springform pan. Line base with baking paper. Place butter,
sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat until light and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after
- Sift flours over butter mixture. Add milk. Fold until
just combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Core and quarter apples. Thinly
slice. Arrange apples in 2 circles on batter, pressing down gently.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Remove side from pan. Slide cake onto a wire rack to cool.