Velvet Chocolate Torte:
- 12 oat biscuits (finely grounded)
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- whites of 2 eggs
- 85g caster sugar
- 250g plain chocolate
- 284ml double cream
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 2 tablespoon brandy
1. Mix ground biscuits with butter in bowl. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the crumb mixture, then press the rest over the base of a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin and smooth down with the back of a large metal spoon. chill the base while you make the filling.
2. In a mixing bowl set over a pan of simmering water, whisk the egg whites with the sugar for about 5 minutes until they form a stiff meringue that stands in soft peaks.
3. Break up the chocolate and melt in a bowl set over the pan of hot water left over from making the meringue. Whip the cream until it just holds its shape.
4. Fold the chocolate into the meringue, followed by the cream and the brandy. Pour into the tin and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the reserved crumbs and chill overnight so it is softly set.